School Board Names Finalists for Appointed Superintendency
In November 2018, Martin County voters passed a referendum granting the Martin County School Board the authority to appoint the Superintendent of Schools. Superintendent Laurie J. Gaylord's second term as the elected Superintendent will expire in November 2020. The School Board is currently working with the Florida School Boards Association to conduct a search for an appointed Superintendent of Schools.
Earlier this year, the School Board held community forums to allow citizens to provide feedback about qualities they felt the appointed Superintendent should possess, as well as what his/her leadership priorities should be. Members of the community and District employees were also invited to provide their feedback via two input surveys. The School Board used results from the community forums and input surveys to develop the job description and list of qualities for the appointed Superintendent. The Board has continued to promote civic engagement by selecting members of the community who represent a cross-section of Martin County to serve on a Citizens Advisory Committee as part of the search process.
During its Special meeting held last evening, the School Board selected five candidates from its list of semifinalists to move forward in the hiring process. The finalists will be interviewed collectively and individually by Board Members September 15 - 17, 2020.
The five finalists are:
- Thomas A. Phelps, current Deputy Superintendent - Human Services, School District of Osceola County
- John D. Millay, recently retired Superintendent - Meade County School District (Kentucky)
- Lori M. Romano, current Director of Career, Technical and Adult Education Programs - Pasco County School District
- Peter B. Licata, current Regional Superintendent - Palm Beach County School District
- Michael J. Dunsmore, former Superintendent - Wayne County Public Schools (North Carolina)
The approved hiring timeline has a new Superintendent of Schools being named by September 22, 2020, and beginning their employment with the District on November 17, 2020.
To learn more about the Superintendent Search process, please click here.