• Frequently Asked Questions:

    How old does my child have to be to attend school?


    • Pre-School:  The Martin County School District participates in the state’s free Voluntary Pre-K program (VPK).  Children must be 4 years old by September 1st to enroll in the school year session.  For Enrolling your child in school the summer session, children must be at least 4 years old the summer before kindergarten, and must not have already attended VPK. For more information on the VPK Program, call (772) 219-1893, ext. 100.


    • Kindergarten/First Grade: Under state law, a child must be 5 years old by September 1st of the current school year to enter kindergarten.  To enter first grade, a child must be 6 years old by September 1st of the current school year, and must have successfully completed kindergarten.


    Getting Reading for Kindergarten: What Parents Can Do


    How do I know which school my child will  attend?


    Visit the Attendance Boundaries map, which includes a “search” function that will identify school zones based on an individual address.   For additional assistance, please contact the Facilities Department at (772) 223-3105.


    How do I go about enrolling my child in school?


    You should visit the school your child will be attending during regular Office Hours to complete the enrollment process,  even during the summer.  


    What paperwork will I need to enroll my child?


    • Two Proofs of Residency - current utility bill with service address indicated, current year property tax bill, deed of home, lease agreement with name of tenant, landlord and contact information for all parties, mortgage, auto insurance policy, home purchase contract including closing date and copy of property deed to be provided in 30 days, Declaration of Domicile from the County Records Department, State of Florida driver's license and State of Florida identification card.


    • Health Records - Children entering a Florida public school for the first time must have a Florida Certificate of Immunization (Florida Department of Health Form 680).  Students are also required to have proof of a physical examination (Florida Department of  Health Form 3040) signed by a licensed physician, nurse practitioner, or physician’s assistant.  Children transferring from another state must present a  physical form completed by a licensed physician, nurse practitioner, or physician’s assistant.  See additional information on immunizations and physical exams in the next box.


    • Birth Certificate - A certified copy of a birth certificate or acceptable substitute as defined by Florida law is required to register. 

    • School Records - Items such as withdrawal forms, standardized test scores, and recent report cards will help the school place your child appropriately.  If you do not have these items, provide the school with the name and address of your child's previous school so that the necessary information can be obtained.


     Please visit the Florida Department of Health website for current school immunization requirements.