BENEFIT ELECTION INFORMATION
- Retiree may elect to keep any or all of the active benefits in effect upon retirement, such as, health, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life
- New benefits or dependents may not be added at or after retirement. However, if retiree has active family health, dental or vision coverage, that can also continue
- Failure to elect retiree benefits upon retirement indicates a refusal of coverage*
- Retirees under age 65 must continue the same insurance plan currently enrolled in at the time of retirement from MCSD. However, if the retiree is relocating outside of the HMO service area, a change must be made at the time of the permanent address change.
- Retirees age 65 or over at the time of retirement have several options of health plans to choose from. Retiree must enroll in Medicare Part A and B effective the first of the month after retirement.
- Retirees may elect to continue participation in the District’s dental and vision plans by paying the group rates in retirement. Retiree must continue in the same dental and vision insurance plans currently enrolled in at the time of retirement from MCSD. Changes may be made to plans during the annual open enrollment.
- Retirees may continue to participate in the District’s life insurance plan by paying the group rate in retirement. Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) portion is eliminated upon retirement.
- If retiree has supplemental life insurance at retirement and elects to continue it, the coverage amount is reduced to $5,000 upon retirement. There are no further reductions to this coverage.
*Once a retiree benefit election is waived or cancelled, it may not be reinstated at a later date